Sunday, December 13, 2009
• 1 Cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter – room temperature (It shouldn’t be too soft)
• 1 Cup granulated sugar
• 1Tbsp brown sugar
• ½ Teaspoon salt
• 2 Large eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3 cups all- purpose flour – plus more for rolling and cutting
• Sanding sugar for sprinkling on cookies
• 1 egg plus 1 teaspoon water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line sheet pans with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl and with paddle, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well to combine. Mix in vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add flour and mix just until incorporated (do not over mix).
2. Chill for 30 minutes. Roll ¼ inch thick and cut into snowflake shapes (or whatever shapes you want). Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Chill 15 minutes before baking – if there is time.
3. Place cookies 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Bake until just barely golden around the edges, 7 to 12 minutes (depending on the size of the cookies). Cool completely on baking sheets.
4. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
(you can also make the dough ahead of time and keep frozen until ready to bake)
Back to the Christmas Cookie Swap....